Sunday, March 29, 2009

Aunt Gerry's 80th Birthday Party

Saturday afternoon around 3:00 we all bundled ourselves up and piled in our huge Expedition and drove to the community hall where the party was held. We arrived a couple hours early to help with all the setting up. There were a few people there already bustling around getting ready. Over the next two hours people started showing up, all these familiar people, all with older faces. It has been 12 years since I have seen most of my cousins, so it was almost like a high school reunion. Most of my cousins' children were teenagers the last time I saw them, now they are all young adults and it was just so surreal to see them all.
Auntie arrived around 5:30. Her son Ron and his family picked her up and she thought that the party was a wedding shower for her granddaughter Jennifer. When they pulled up, my mom, my sister and her family, me and my family, and her cousins who had come in from out of town all hid in a back room. So when she walked in and the whole family yelled "surprise" she was so surprised and so happy that she started to cry, then we all come out of the back room and say "surprise" again, and she just couldn't believe it...it was so sweet to see how emotional she was to see her sister and her family all the way from California. So needless to say, my Aunt Gerry was very surprised and overwhelmed and excited. So over the next few hours Auntie visited with all her guests, about 80 people, 2/3's of them her family. She seemed to have a really nice time.. It was amazing to see a room full of all these people and know that one lady was responsible for all of them, truly amazing.
Rico and I were wondering how Josh would do with all the people, we assumed he would be clingy, but he actually befriended one of his 2 year old cousins and he was running around the room like he owned the place, it was really neat to see, we were quite happy.
Katie, of course, was the life of the party. All the ladies loved her, even a few of the guys...she was passed around from one person to the next, and she slept most of the time. The room was very loud, but it didn't affect Katie at all. As for Josh, after a few hours of serious playing and running around the room, he fell asleep on his papa's shoulder and he was out for at least 2 hours.
At about 7:30 Rico had had just about enough of all the noise and commotion, I think he was more overwhelmed with the whole day than the two kids were. Mike and Wendy were ready to go home too, it was time to bundle ourselves up again and drive home. If it were just me, I would have stayed longer, but I was out - numbered, but I didn't mind.
So we decided that the party was a success, Auntie was truly surprised and she had a great time.

No comments: